8.27.2008

Party Time

Let's say hypothetically I was a drunk and you were a potential contender for Miss America. One day while drinking, I call you ugly and throw a giant softball at your forehead. It leaves a big bruise and permanently dents in your face. You subsequently lose the Miss America pageant. Sure, your answer to your "civil responsibility" question could have been better, but mostly you lost because of the horrid bruise and sharp indent on your face. Time passes, about six to seven months, and I won't explicitly state that I'm sorry. When asked if I think you are still or ever were pretty, I don't answer. I talk around it and say things like, "What is beauty really?" Then our friends throw a party. To try and make you feel better I get in front of all our mutual friends, some of which are angry at me for throwing the softball at you, some of which thought you deserved it. I tell our friends, "Sure, while drinking I said she was ugly. Then I forever ruined her appearance. However, seven months later I stand here and say, 'she's beautiful.'" Would you believe me? Probably not.

No comments: