1.16.2009

None Accountability. None.

I went to Hy-Vee this afternoon to send off a few more movies from my ever dwindling movie collection. Due to the weather spewing its hatred on the earth, there is a lot of snow on the ground. This means Iowans have reverted to their annual, "Who needs rules in parking lots?" philosophies. For those unfamiliar, this means you can drive into a parking lot, stop wherever you feel appropriate, and exit your motorcar.

There are only two rules:

1) You can't park in a handicapped spot marked by a sign that is above the snow.
2) You can park in a handicapped spot that is merely painted on the ground but entirely (or at the very least, mostly kinda) covered with slush.

Unfortunately for me, this trip to Hy-Vee (an employee owned grocer if you are unfamiliar) bore no close parking fruit (which tastes similar to a marbleberry). I avoided the mish mash of autos and parked towards the back of Hy-Vee, close to a Taco Viceroys.

Doubly unfortunately for me, the shoes I wore (also known as my wedding shoes) have zero traction. In fact, they may have anti-traction, if such a level of traction exists. Every step I took could be described thusly: I started with two feet: a planted foot and a stepping foot. I planted the stepping foot and lifted the planted foot into step-ready position. The original stepping foot became the planted foot, the original planted foot (formerly a stepping foot) slid two inches back. I overcompensated by pushing the stepping foot (formerly a planting foot) out further. It was like moonwalking, only with less sexual ambiguity.

As I approached Hy-Vee, a long-haired man with crutches and a weathered face exited his car. He looked to be in his low thirties and wore one of thoes ridiculous hats with the two balls that hang down over the ears. He parked in a handicapped spot because Hy-Vee had signs, thus rule one was enforced. I tried to speed up but couldn't due to anti-traction. This meant I had to walk thirty whole seconds with a crippled stranger into Hy-Vee. Anyone who has ever talked to anyone with any sort of disability knows how awkward that can be. All they ever want is for you to ask them about what makes them different.

I said, "Hello."

He said, "Lucky you."

I said, "Yeah. I am lucky." I didn't know why. I presumed it was because he saw that I had Pineapple Express in my hand, ready to return to Redbox. I had been trying to rent it for two weeks but it was always out of stock when I wanted it.

He said, "Oh yeah. Why's that?"

I said, "I don't know. You said it. I don't like being confrontational with strangers." This isn't true. I love to be confrontational with strangers, just not invalid strangers.

He said, "You're lucky because both your legs work."

I said, "And to think most of the time, I don't use them for anything but to sit."

He said, "I slipped on the ice a bit back and broke my leg."

I said, "Your leg is broken? I hadn't noticed."

He said, "That's why I have crutches."

I said, "Oh. That follows."

He said, "Take advantage kid. Take advantage." He puffed his chest in a way philosophers do when they are being profound and prophetic.

I said, "Of what exactly?" I hoped to get a, "You don't know what it's got til it's gone," medley that would turn into a broader 80's musical medley and feature dancing Yodas.

He said, "Your health. You never know when the ice might be too slippery to step on."

I said, "That's great advice. I'm going to go now."

By this time we had arrived in Hy-Vee, and stood at the cart bay for thirty seconds to finish this exchange. He showed no understanding of my obviously facetious comments. He remained stone-faced during the entire conversation.

After doing my business in Hy-Vee, I left the store. I continued the awkward walk back to my car when I looked over at Crutchy's car. It had three snowboarding bumper stickers. Maybe it was my conversation with the melodramatic Shatterleg, but this ticked me off. I have to risk falling in a dangerous, slushy parking lot because I'm blessed with health and two working legs? So was he. He just chose to break one of his legs being Xtreme. If fake handicapped people want better spots, they should arrive earlier. Otherwise, those parking spots should be reserved for people with no legs.

And!!! (arm raised triumphantly)

Since people with no legs shouldn't be driving, those spots shouldn't exist. I think I solved a problem here without even intending to. Thank God for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's possible to buy conversion kits for one's vehicle, so that one can drive without one's legs. One of the school board members in my hometown fell off his roof about ten years ago, and is now paralyzed from the waist down. Using the conversion kit, he can drive quite well.

Insensitive.

Also, it's quite warm here. There is very little chance of slipping on ice, but I was accosted today by a number of poor children asking for money, so I guess it's a tradeoff.

Anonymous said...

WOW... this is the first time I've read your blog.... Ashley always said I would get a kick out of it and I just never took the time but when I opened the laptop tonight there it was and I find myself with tears in my eyes wishing I could have been there to record this encounter with..... how did you put it.... oh yes... Crutchy!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA


Travis

Dallas said...

I think you should leave Crutchy alone. He needed his Mountain Dew, and he needed it now, dammit. Plus, I bet when he's healthy he hang glides to Hy Vee while reading books on how to be pretentious.

Viceroy Fizzlebottom said...

What if you have legs, but also have polio? Do you still get to have the handicapped spot? Just want to make sure we cover all bases before we paint over the handicapped spaces on the asphalt and cut the ones sticking up from the ground like Cool Hand Luke does with parking meters.

You wanna know how I got the scar above my right eye? It's long been rumored I cut it when I was hopping over the fence to get to this country, but truth be told, I fell on a patch of ice in 4th grade. No one gave me no damn parking space after that.

My new favorite space is the expecting mothers spot. With absolutely no way to regulate that with a parking ticket, I feel I'm just as deserving as the next stupid dumpy white girl that made poor life decisions.

The Goob said...

The other day I was at the grocery store and came upon a massive SUV parked in what was clearly and blatantly not a parking spot at the head of the lane, closer to the store than where the wheelie people get to park even. I became so infuriated that I wished to run into that person on our ways back out of the grocer so I could have myself a little berating party. Sadly, our leaving schedules were not in sync.

Also, I probably would have wimped out. However, if I was being chastised by a guy who was so bummed about having busted a leg doing something that was clearly high-risk, I may have ended up throwing some punches. EXTREME!!! punches!